South Dakota
Retirement System
Proudly Serving South Dakota's Public Employees Since 1974


Compensation Subject to SDRS Contributions

Compensation includes all payments for services rendered by an employee. All earnings and wages, salaries, fees, and wages-in-kind must be reported regardless of the source of the funds. If your unit has the final authority to hire, direct, and fire the employee, that employee's compensation must be reported, even if it is funded by another entity, such as the federal government.

Besides the employee's regular salary, examples of other compensation include:

If you ever question whether payments should or should not be reported to SDRS, please contact the SDRS office toll-free at 1-888-605-SDRS (7377).